Welcome to JG51 "Mölders"

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• BlackC5

Alternate squad night   08/06/2018

We will be adding an alternate squad night of Saturdays @ 9:30 eastern, we may be flying BOS or CloD join up on the ATAG TS server @ the JG51 channel to find out which. the normal Sunday night squad night will still in effect for those who want to join.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JG51Ogg

Hanging up my H.O.T.A.S.

>S< Everyone

I have thought about this for a long time now and I just cannot put it into words that are eloquent.

But here goes,

I started Playing flight sims back in 1996.  Throughout the time I have played not too many of them. AirWarrior1, AirWarrior2, AirWarrior3, Janes ATF, WWIIOL (BattleGroundEurope), Aces High, Rise of flight, BOS, and here in Cliffs of Dover. 20 years of flight virtually. 

I started out with a stick that had a trigger and 3 buttons and a 15 inch monitor for AirWarrior, for comms I had a headset monitor with a microphone taped to it  running RogerWilco. The machine was a beast with an 80386 chipset and 16 Meg of RAM, a sound blaster sound card with joystick port, and for video a AMD card.  Not even sure what the card was. and for storage I had a super huge 256 Megabyte Hard Drive that when the machine started up sounded like it was going to launch itself into space.

Over the years that has progressed into the Rig I run now TrackIR, TeamSpeak, 5.1 surround sound headset, Logitech G940 HOTAS with Rudder pedals, and a 32 inch monitor.  The last beast built is a Intel 7700 Skylake 4.2Gh with 32 Gig of RAM 10 TeraByte of Storage, M.2 Primary drive, and well you know the rest if you can read my sig.

As I sit here and ponder life at 55 I have some real life things that need to be done and worrying about a game is the least of them.

First thing that brought my attention to focus was my Cardiac condition (Not a Heart attack Per Se) which gave me focus as to how short life really is.  I am currently stagnated with the weight loss and need to recommit to the things that helped me lose 100 pounds.  I had fallen back into the rut of ordering a small pizza on Saturdays and it grew into more now.  I have to go back t Fish, Chicken, and Lean Pork with 2-3 vegetables and a small salad for lunches and dinners.  I need to start eating breakfast again and I really hate eggs but I have to have one a day.  I still have another 150 to go until I'm ready to say I did it well. 

I also have to recommit to exercising.  Driving a truck professionally is the last thing from being able to get any exercise.  See how long you can last doing the following.  Go out and sit in your car or pickup, or whatever is the most comfortable vehicle you own.  Have a seat in the drivers seat, put both hands on the steering wheel, and hols that position for 6 hours then start your car and drive to the gas station.  Get out put gas in your car and pull ahead to the building.  Get out and do something there for 30 minutes.  Get back in your vehicle and drive home and continue to sit there for another 4 hours.  Then you can go inside and exercise, make your dinner ETC.  Not bitching it's just what the life of a Professional Truck Driver is like.  It's what I chose to do.

I never really knew my daughter as she grew up because mom realized at that time she got pregnant I was a HUGE ass monkey.  I did take care of her monetarily without the help of the courts, but for the sake of stability in her life I was just a shadow on the wall.  Other than her I have no kids and since she at age 25 still doesn't like men and has a committed relationship with another woman I doubt I'll ever have grand-kids. 

I do however have nephews and nieces who have kids and Uncle Chuck is the Shit because he can make fire with shit he finds in the woods.  One of my nephews wants to learn how to hunt, Fish, and be self reliant outdoors as his dad never grew from being a Ass Monkey.  So beginning this year I'm going to pass my woodsy knowledge on to him.  His kid and my Nieces kids want to join in the festivities too.  I'd rather be teaching them how to survive the zombie apocalypse, than have them think they should just take medications for all that ails them.

All of this brings me back to the original point of this thread and that is, it's time for me to hang up the HOTAS and get to living again.  I am happiest when I am outdoors and observing nature.  I share a hunting camp with a friend of 40 years and as we get older it's time to pass the knowledge on to the younger generation to keep the camp up and going.  We are adding wind and Solar power to the camp over the next few years and hopefully we can be off the Diesel generators all together and have a quite place to relax in retirement.

I am going to fly one more time.  I will be flying during the Warbirds of Prey Event for the latest installment of AlderTag on March18th at 1900 GMT (1400EST).  I'm going to fly for about 2 hours and then it's done.  You can join me if you like there.

BlackC5 I have to return the CO hat to you.

Everyone else

Get out of my office and kill shit.

>S<

I will be there.  It is and always has been a pleasure.

sorry to hear this Ogg, it is always fun flying with you

Sorry to see you go Ogg. Life's priorities change from time to time. I remember the days where I would get home, eat, take a shower then fly all night. Now that I have a little one and a wife that has all changed. I wouldn't have it any other way. Sure, there are times that I wish I could just zone out and fly but I feel like I would be missing time with the little girl or depriving my wife of attention that she needs.

You certainly need to take care of yourself, and take time for those who love to spend their time with you. 

I am not sure that I can be on to see you off on the 18th, my wife's parents are coming in to visit. 

Best wishes, good luck and clear skies my friend...

Ogg,

Was always a pleasure to fly with you and I wish you nothing but the best. I wish I would have seen this earlier I would've gotten the joystick out of storage. 

S!

David625